The Springs

Welcome to Vaughn and Nell's website, updating you on our lives! Thanks for visiting and we hope you enjoy catching up on what we're up to!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cairns, Queensland, Australia

I’m proudly a full-time Mummy, looking after our beautiful daughter (nicknamed “Little Spring” in my blog) and a full time wife to a wonderful Lutheran pastor (“nicknamed “Big Spring” in my blog). I was born and have lived in Australia my whole life, but I also have a US passport and a passion for all things American… especially food and my family!

Tuesday, March 09, 2010

High Expectations!

For those that know me well, I L-O-V-E reading! My only problem is I just don't have enough time to read everything I want to! After purchasing 4 books from church just last weekend, I put very high expectations on myself to get through them all... not to mention the growing pile of other books I hope to get through! I won't leave them all on my nightstand... but here's the pile at the moment:

I'm just so excited! I've started reading Hot Chocolate For Couples... which the author only suggests reading once a week, so some of the other books can be used for devotions during the week. Vaughn and I both love the cover of that one:

and even better, it comes with a recipe for a "Homemade Hot Chocolate" Mix. Being a chocolate fanatic, I decided to try it out and it was quite delicious! The recipe is as follows:

8 quarts powdered milk (after much googling, I discoved this is 8 cups for the Aussies!)
1 pound Nestle Quick
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar (icing sugar)
4 tablespoons cocoa
7 ounces Coffeemate (coffee whitener)

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl; store in airtight container. Add 1/2 cup mix to very hot water.

As you can see from the quantities, it makes quite a lot! I think I'll have a cup on the evenings I read a chapter... seems fitting, especially with the cooler nights!

Getting back to my dilemma of too much to read and not enough time, my favourite magazine arrived in the mail today! I love when it arrives all new and colourful. It's the first and only magazine I've ever subscribed to and it has everything I need in it and nothing of what I don't want (all the celebrity goss etc... I can catch up on that at the hairdressers or a waiting room!).


So is it any wonder that I don't blog as often as I should!? LOL

2 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Esther said...

Might have to find the Hot Chocolate for Couples book - looks fun! Especially the actual Hot chocolate mix.... yummy!

Enjoy your Notebook. May i suggest a quilt on the back lawn as a tried, true and excellent place for reading it?!

8:23 am  
Blogger Nell said...

unfortunately each time I try the 'quilt on the back lawn' trick, someone comes out for a chat... which is lovely, but it means I don't get to read it! LOL... one of the things I'm looking forward to next year... our own, private, backyard!

Hot Chocolate for Couples is a Christian book from Koorong. If you can't find it, I'd be happy to buy it on your behalf and send it to you. The author is hilarious in her introduction - you can read the book as a couple, but hit the nail on the head about husbands and books (i.e. we naively think they'll read it for us, but in reality, it aint gonna happen!). I've only read a little bit, but the author has me chuckling quite a bit!

8:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home